Jump to Main Content
- Preobrazenski, Nicholas; Bonafiglia, Jacob T.; Nelms, Matthew W.; Lu, Simo; Robins, Lauren; LeBlanc, Camille; Gurd, Brendon J.
- Applied physiology, nutrition and metabolism 2019 v.44 no.2 pp. 179-186
- blood; exercise; heart rate; lactic acid; oxygen consumption; speech; variance
- ... The purpose of this study was to test the hypotheses (i) that interindividual variability in acute blood lactate responses during exercise at 65% of peak work rate (WRₚₑₐₖ; relative WRₚₑₐₖ protocol (REL)) will predict variability in the chronic responses to exercise training and (ii) that exercising at an intensity that causes uncomfortable speech production (negative talk test (TT) stage (NEG)) e ...
- Notarius, Catherine F.; Millar, Philip J.; Doherty, Connor J.; Incognito, Anthony V.; Haruki, Nobuhiko; O’Donnell, Emma; Floras, John S.
- Applied physiology, nutrition and metabolism 2019 v.44 no.2 pp. 194-199
- diastolic blood pressure; exercise; heart rate; middle-aged adults; muscles; nerve tissue; peak oxygen uptake; systolic blood pressure
- ... Muscle sympathetic nerve activity (MSNA) at rest increases with age. However, the influence of age on MSNA recorded during dynamic leg exercise is unknown. We tested the hypothesis that aging attenuates the sympatho-inhibitory response observed in young subjects performing mild to moderate 1-leg cycling. After predetermining peak oxygen uptake, we compared contra-lateral fibular nerve MSNA during ...