Jump to Main Content
- Glace, Beth W.; Kremenic, Ian J.; McHugh, Malachy P.
- Applied physiology, nutrition and metabolism 2019 v.44 no.2 pp. 139-147
- analysis of variance; bicycling; carbohydrates; cross-over studies; exercise; magnetism; men; muscles; nerve tissue; oxygen consumption; placebos; sports drinks; women
- ... We investigated whether carbohydrate ingestion delays fatigue in endurance-trained cyclists via peripheral or central mechanisms. Ten men (35 ± 9 years of age) and 10 women (42 ± 7 years of age) were assigned, in a double-blind, crossover design, to a sports drink (CHO) or to a placebo (PL). The following strength measures were made 3 times (before exercise, after a time trial (TT), and after a ri ...
- Notarius, Catherine F.; Millar, Philip J.; Doherty, Connor J.; Incognito, Anthony V.; Haruki, Nobuhiko; O’Donnell, Emma; Floras, John S.
- Applied physiology, nutrition and metabolism 2019 v.44 no.2 pp. 194-199
- diastolic blood pressure; exercise; heart rate; middle-aged adults; muscles; nerve tissue; peak oxygen uptake; systolic blood pressure
- ... Muscle sympathetic nerve activity (MSNA) at rest increases with age. However, the influence of age on MSNA recorded during dynamic leg exercise is unknown. We tested the hypothesis that aging attenuates the sympatho-inhibitory response observed in young subjects performing mild to moderate 1-leg cycling. After predetermining peak oxygen uptake, we compared contra-lateral fibular nerve MSNA during ...