Jump to Main Content
- McNeil, Chris J.; Rice, Charles L.
- Applied physiology, nutrition and metabolism 2018 v.43 no.11 pp. 1158-1165
- elderly; motor cortex; muscles; transcranial magnetic stimulation
- ... Even in the absence of disease or disability, aging is associated with marked physiological adaptations within the neuromuscular system. An ability to perform activities of daily living and maintain independence with advanced age is reliant on the health of the neuromuscular system. Hence, it is critical to elucidate the age-related adaptations that occur within the central nervous system and the ...
- Liu-Ambrose, Teresa; Barha, Cindy K.; Best, John R.
- Applied physiology, nutrition and metabolism 2018 v.43 no.11 pp. 1105-1112
- brain; cognition; cognitive disorders; dementia; disease prevention; elderly; exercise
- ... Physical activity is a promising strategy for dementia prevention and disease modification. Here, we provide a narrative review of the current evidence from epidemiological and intervention studies on the role of physical activity and exercise in promoting cognitive health in older adults both without and with cognitive impairment. We highlight some of the potential underlying mechanisms and discu ...