Jump to Main Content
- Scholefield, Andrew M.; Tocher, Douglas R.; Schuller, Kathryn A.
- Aquaculture 2015 v.449 pp. 58-68
- Thunnus maccoyii; beta oxidation; cage culture; cages; cell lines; culture media; esterification; farmed fish; fatty acid composition; fatty acid metabolism; fatty fish; fish feeds; fish meal; fish oils; fisheries; food webs; gene expression; marine fish; nutrient requirements; phosphatidylcholines; phosphatidylethanolamines; tuna; very long chain fatty acids; Australia; Japan; Mexico
- ... Bluefin tunas are large predatory marine fish of great commercial value but little is known of their specific nutritional requirements. The three species are farmed in sea cages in Australia, the Mediterranean, Mexico and Japan where they are fed small oily fish sourced from wild-catch fisheries. This may not be sustainable and, therefore, it is important to investigate the possible consequences o ...
- Tocher, Douglas R.
- Aquaculture 2015 v.449 pp. 94-107
- Oncorhynchus mykiss; animal growth; aquaculture; essential fatty acids; farmed fish; fish feeds; fish health; fish meal; fish oils; high energy diet; humans; larvae; lipid content; marine fish; marine resources; metabolism; nutrients; omega-3 fatty acids; polyunsaturated fatty acids; wild fish
- ... In the 40years since the essentiality of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) in fish was first established by determining quantitative requirements for 18:3n−3 and 18:2n−6 in rainbow trout, essential fatty acid (EFA) research has gone through distinct phases. For 20years the focus was primarily on determining qualitative and quantitative EFA requirements of fish species. Nutritional and biochemical ...