Jump to Main Content
- Welker, Thomas
- Aquaculture research 2011 v.42 pp. 1878
- Edwardsiella ictaluri; Ictalurus punctatus; antibacterial properties; antibodies; disease resistance; feed supplements; fish feeding; immunity; lysozyme; nucleotides; salt concentration; stress response; stress tolerance
- ... Juvenile channel cat¢sh (14.4 g average initial weight) were fed diets supplemented with a purified nucleotide mixture for 8 weeks. The mixture consisted of five nucleotides supplied on an equal basis as disodium salts at combined concentrations of 0 (control), 0.1%, 0.3%, 0.9% or 2.7% of diet. Addition of nucleotides to diet produced a dose-dependent reduction in survival of channel cat¢sh to Edw ...
- Nanayakkara, N.P. Dhammika; Schrader, Kevin K.
- Aquaculture research 2011 v.42 pp. 1895
- 2-methylisoborneol; Ictalurus punctatus; Planktothrix; bioassays; catfish; farmed fish; fish ponds; fish production; odor compounds; off flavors; oxygen; quinoline; reactive oxygen species; toxic substances; toxicity
- ... The cyanobacterium Planktothrix perornata grows in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) production ponds in the southeastern United States and produces the musty-odor compound 2-methylisoborneol (MIB). MIB can rapidly accumulate in the flesh of the catfish, thereby rendering the fish unpalatable and unmarketable. A group of compounds that produce reactive oxygen intermediates (ROI) were evaluated ...