Jump to Main Content
- Burford, M.A.; Sellars, M.J.; Arnold, S.J.; Keys, S.J.; Crocos, P.J.; Preston, N.P.
- Aquaculture research 2004 v.35 no.5 pp. 508-515
- stocking rate; algae; nitrogen; epiphytes; Penaeus esculentus; carbon; polyethylene; nutrient requirements; shrimp; ammonium chloride; stable isotopes; shrimp culture; juveniles
- ... The contribution of epiphytes associated with physical substrates to the nutritional requirements of post-larval shrimp, Penaeus esculentus Haswell, was determined in high-density rearing systems (3000, 6000 and 11000 m-3). Stable isotope signatures of epiphytes on polyethylene mesh substrate, AquaMats and tank walls were compared with shrimp signatures. Two methods were used: the determination of ...
- Schendel, E.K.; Nordstrom, S.E.; Lavkulich, L.M.
- Aquaculture research 2004 v.35 no.5 pp. 483-493
- fish farms; carbon; heterotrophs; phosphorus; marine sediments; sulfur; iron; mariculture; salmon; silica; copper; calcium; potassium; fish culture; zinc; nitrogen; magnesium; aluminum; bacteria; British Columbia
- ... Open ocean pen aquacultural operations are leaky systems with potential environmental impacts of metabolic excretions products, feed additives, and anti-fouling agents. This study analysed the water-sediment interface along a horizontal transect away from a fish farm, noting variations between water, floc, and sediment properties. The properties examined included nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), carb ...