Jump to Main Content
- Padgett, Donald J.; Joyal, Meghan; Quirk, Sydney; Laubi, Melissa; Surasinghe, Thilina D.
- Aquatic botany 2018 v.149 pp. 40-45
- Chrysemys picta; Nuphar; Nymphaea odorata; aquatic plants; digestive system; feces; fruits; germination; ingestion; seed dispersal; seed treatment; seeds; surface water; turtles; viability; water birds; Massachusetts
- ... Direct or incidental ingestion of fruits or seeds by freshwater turtles can facilitate seed dispersal within and between bodies of water. Here, we evaluate Chrysemys picta (Eastern painted turtles) as a dispersal mode for hydrophytes and aimed to determine: 1) factors that drive diversity and abundance of egested seeds, 2) if certain regionally-common seed taxa more frequently occur in feces, and ...
- Prausová, Romana
- Aquatic botany 2018 v.149 pp. 1-4
- Potamogeton lucens; aquatic plants; botany; germination; hybridization; hybrids; landscapes; ponds; seedlings; Czech Republic
- ... A hybrid of P. praelongus and P. lucens (P.×jutlandicus) was found in an outdoor germination test in 2013–2015, which confirmed existence of spontaneous hybridization of the pondweed species present in the ponds below Plešivec in the Kokořínsko Protected Landscape Area in the Czech Republic. Seedlings of P. ×jutlandicus were different from those of P. praelongus and the speed of their growth was h ...