Jump to Main Content
- Morningstar, Cayla R.; Inoue, Kentaro; Sei, Makiri; Lang, Brian K.; Berg, David J.
- Aquatic conservation 2014 v.24 no.4 pp. 536-545
- biodiversity; endangered species; genes; genetic variation; indigenous species; mitochondrial DNA; morphometry; phylogeny; principal component analysis; snails; springs (water); sympatry; variance; United States
- ... The endangered snails Juturnia kosteri and Pyrgulopsis roswellensis are endemic to springs on Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge, NM, USA. These species are small and difficult to distinguish by shell shape. A morphological analysis of these two species was conducted using geometric morphometrics, and a phylogenetic analysis using the mitochondrial DNA genes COI and ND1 was performed. Principal ...
- Fernandez‐Carvalho, Joana; Imhoff, Johanna L.; Faria, Vicente V.; Carlson, John K.; Burgess, George H.
- Aquatic conservation 2014 v.24 no.4 pp. 478-497
- Pristis pectinata; Pristis perotteti; estuaries; extinction; lakes; risk; rivers; scientists; Atlantic Ocean; Cameroon; Colombia; Costa Rica; Guatemala; Guinea; Mexico; Namibia; Nicaragua; United States
- ... Sawfishes currently are among the most threatened elasmobranchs in the world. Only two species inhabit Atlantic waters: the largetooth sawfish (Pristis pristis) and the smalltooth sawfish (Pristis pectinata), both having suffered dramatic declines in their ranges. The goal of this study was to evaluate the status of P. pristis in the Atlantic, and estimate local extinction risk based on historical ...