Jump to Main Content
- Chilvers, B. Louise; Meyer, Stefan
- Aquatic conservation 2017 v.27 no.4 pp. 846-855
- Phocarctos hookeri, etc ; breeding sites; decline; endangered species; islands; models; monitoring; population dynamics; population size; pups; New Zealand; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Understanding population size and trend is critical information in species management and conservation. To enable accurate population trend estimates, consistent robust monitoring of a species is essential, particularly for a species such as the New Zealand (NZ) sea lion, Phocarctos hookeri, which has experienced an almost continuous decline in pup production since the late 1990s. This research ex ...
- Hamilton, Sheryl; Baker, G. Barry
- Aquatic conservation 2016 v.26 no.1 pp. 121-133
- Phocarctos hookeri, etc ; bycatch; epizootic diseases; fisheries management; islands; models; mortality; population growth; pups; squid; trawl nets; viability; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... New Zealand sea lions are incidentally killed in trawl fisheries around the Auckland Islands with most mortality having been attributed to the Auckland Islands squid fishery. Fishery management measures include the establishment of a 12 nautical mile marine reserve around the Auckland Islands excluding all fishing within that range, the instigation of mortality limits that can trigger spatio‐tempo ...