Jump to Main Content
- Wartman, C.A.; Hogan, N.S.; Hewitt, L.M.; McMaster, M.E.; Landman, M.J.; Taylor, S.; Kovacs, T.G.; van den Heuvel, M.R.
- Aquatic toxicology 2009 v.92 no.3 pp. 131-139
- pulp and paper mill effluents; bleached kraft pulp; water pollution; Gasterosteus aculeatus; reproductive toxicology; androgens; estrogens; steroidogenesis; animal reproduction; vitellogenin; polymerase chain reaction; messenger RNA; gene expression; enzyme activity
- ... The presence of unidentified estrogens and androgens in effluents from pulp and paper mills is well documented. However, their role in effluent effects on fish reproduction remains unclear. The objective of this study was to investigate the hypothesis that reproductive impacts of a modern pulp mill effluent are mediated by androgens and/or estrogens in the effluent. Male and female threespine stic ...
- Gagnaire, Beatrice; Gagné, François; André, Chantale; Blaise, Christian; Abbaci, Khedidja; Budzinski, Hélène; Dévier, Marie-Hélène; Garric, Jeanne
- Aquatic toxicology 2009 v.92 no.3 pp. 155-167
- Gastropoda; snails; endocrine-disrupting chemicals; biomarkers; abiotic stress; vitellogenin; proteins; gonads; histology; phosphates; lipids; animal reproduction; reproductive toxicology; France
- ... The occurrence in aquatic environments of compounds capable of acting as endocrine disruptors (ED) is of concern for wildlife. Elevated levels of the egg-yolk precursor protein vitellogenin (Vg) are widely accepted as a biomarker for xenoestrogen exposure in aquatic organisms. The purpose of this study was to develop a method for tracking changes in levels of Vg-like proteins in gastropods. Vg-lik ...