Jump to Main Content
- Roy, Nirmal K.; Candelmo, Allison; DellaTorre, Melissa; Chambers, R. Christopher; Nádas, Arthur; Wirgin, Isaac
- Aquatic toxicology 2018 v.197 pp. 19-31
- Acipenser oxyrinchus, etc ; Acipenser brevirostrum; Acipenser fulvescens; Acipenser transmontanus; Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species; Endangered Species Act of 1973; World Health Organization; amino acids; aromatic hydrocarbons; coasts; enzymes; estuaries; gene expression; ligands; messenger RNA; polychlorinated biphenyls; polychlorinated dibenzofurans; rivers; sediments; spawning; sturgeon; tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin; toxicity; transcriptional activation; xenobiotics; United States; Show all 26 Subjects
- ... Atlantic sturgeon and shortnose sturgeon co-occur in many estuaries along the Atlantic Coast of North America. Both species are protected under the U.S. Endangered Species Act and internationally on the IUCN Red list and by CITES. Early life-stages of both sturgeons may be exposed to persistent aromatic hydrocarbon contaminants such as PCBs and PCDD/Fs which are at high levels in the sediments of ...
- Roy, Nirmal K.; DellaTorre, Melissa; Candelmo, Allison; Chambers, R. Christopher; Habeck, Ehren; Wirgin, Isaac
- Aquatic toxicology 2018 v.205 pp. 25-35
- Acipenser oxyrinchus, etc ; Acipenser brevirostrum; Acipenser fulvescens; Acipenser transmontanus; amino acid sequences; anthropogenic stressors; birds; chemical pollutants; coasts; estuaries; gene expression; mammals; polychlorinated biphenyls; polychlorinated dibenzofurans; reporter genes; sturgeon; sympatry; tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin; tissues; North America; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... Sturgeon species are imperiled world-wide by a variety of anthropogenic stressors including chemical contaminants. Atlantic sturgeon, Acipenser oxyrinchus, and shortnose sturgeon, Acipenser brevirostrum, are largely sympatric acipenserids whose young life-stages are often exposed to high levels of benthic-borne PCBs and PCDD/Fs in large estuaries along the Atlantic Coast of North America. In previ ...