Jump to Main Content
- Lim, Ji Ye; Liu, Chun; Hu, Kang-Quan; Smith, Donald E.; Wang, Xiang-Dong
- Archives of biochemistry and biophysics 2018 v.654 pp. 1-9
- antioxidants; beta oxidation; carotenoids; cholesterol; cholesterol metabolism; enzymes; fatty acids; fatty liver; homeostasis; humans; lipogenesis; mice; microRNA; oxidative stress; triacylglycerols
- ... β-Carotene-15, 15′-oxygenase (BCO1) and β-carotene-9′, 10′-oxygenase (BCO2) are essential enzymes in carotenoid metabolism. While BCO1/BCO2 polymorphisms have been associated with alterations to human and animal carotenoid levels, experimental studies have suggested that BCO1 and BCO2 may have specific physiological functions beyond the cleavage of carotenoids. In the present study, we investigate ...
- Lee, Jaeyong; Homma, Takujiro; Kobayashi, Sho; Ishii, Naoki; Fujii, Junichi
- Archives of biochemistry and biophysics 2018 v.654 pp. 163-171
- 3-hydroxybutyric acid; beta oxidation; blood plasma; death; droplets; energy; fasting; free fatty acids; ketone bodies; lipogenesis; lipoproteins; liver; mice; oxidative stress; refeeding; secretion; visceral fat
- ... Oxidative stress triggers the formation of lipid droplets in the liver by stimulating lipogenesis and simultaneously suppresses lipoprotein secretion under hypernutritional conditions. Herein we report on the observation of systemic organ failure that is associated with lipid droplet accumulation in fasting, SOD1-knockout (KO) mice. Upon a three-day fasting period, the KO mice were observed to be ...