Jump to Main Content
- van de Kamp, Thomas; Riedel, Alexander; Greven, Hartmut
- Arthropod structure & development 2016 v.45 no.1 pp. 14-22
- elytra, etc ; Buprestidae; Sitophilus granarius; microstructure; phylogeny; transmission electron microscopy; Show all 6 Subjects
- ... The elytral cuticle of 40 beetle species, comprising 14 weevils (Curculionoidea) and 26 representatives of other taxa, is examined. All weevils and 18 other species have an endocuticle with prominent macrofibers, which corresponds to a modified pseudo-orthogonal cuticle. Angles between successive layers of macrofibers range between 30° and 90°, but are constantly less than 60° in weevils. In all C ...
- Pasteels, Jacques M.; Deparis, Olivier; Mouchet, Sébastien R.; Windsor, Donald M.; Billen, Johan
- Arthropod structure & development 2016 v.45 no.6 pp. 509-518
- elytra, etc ; Chrysomelidae; color; hairs; imagos; light microscopy; mating behavior; models; reflectance; sexual maturity; transmission electron microscopy; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Charidotella ambita offers a unique opportunity for unambiguously locating its gold reflector by comparing the structure of reflecting and non-reflecting cuticle of the elytron and pronotum. Using light microscopy and TEM, the reflector was located underneath the macrofiber endocuticle just above the epidermis. The reflector is a multilayer comprising up to 50 bilayers alternating high and low den ...