Jump to Main Content
- Di Giulio, Andrea; Muzzi, Maurizio; Romani, Roberto
- Arthropod structure & development 2015 v.44 no.5 pp. 468-490
- Brachinus; catalase; fluorescence; fluorescence microscopy; hydrogen peroxide; hydroquinone; mechanical stress; scanning electron microscopy; ultrastructure
- ... This paper provides the first comparative anatomical study of the explosive pygidial defensive system of bombardier beetles in species classified in three brachinine subtribes: Brachinus (Brachinina), Pheropsophus (Pheropsophina) and Aptinus (Aptinina). We investigated the morphology and ultrastructure of this system using optical, fluorescence, and focused ion beam (FIB/SEM) microscopy. In doing ...
- Krueger, Stephanie; Subramanian, Sevgan; Niassy, Saliou; Moritz, Gerald B.
- Arthropod structure & development 2015 v.44 no.5 pp. 455-467
- Euphorbia pulcherrima; Frankliniella occidentalis; Megalurothrips sjostedti; aggregation pheromones; beans; flowers; light microscopy; males; transmission electron microscopy; ultrastructure
- ... Sternal pores are important features for identification of male thrips, especially within the subfamily Thripinae. They vary in shape, size and distribution even between species of one genus. Their functional role is speculated to be that of sex- and/or aggregation pheromone production. Yet, sexual aggregations are not reported in Echinothrips americanus, known to have sternal pores, while we obse ...