Jump to Main Content
- Ziegler, Andreas, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Arthropod structure & development 2017 v.46 no.1 pp. 63-76
- Porcellio scaber; animals; calcium carbonate; cornea; energy; escape behavior; head; hepatopancreas; integument; legs; mineral content; mineralization; molting; recycling; resorption
- ... Terrestrial isopods moult first the posterior and then the anterior half of the body, allowing for storage and recycling of CaCO3. We used synchrotron-radiation microtomography to estimate mineral content within skeletal segments in sequential moulting stages of Porcellio scaber. The results suggest that all examined cuticular segments contribute to storage and recycling, however, to varying exten ...
- Ziegler, Andreas, et al. Show all 2 Author
- Arthropod structure & development 2011 v.40 no.1 pp. 64-76
- Armadillidium vulgare; females; spermatozoa; fertilization (reproduction); female genitalia; oviducts; animal cuticle; ultrastructure; microstructure; apolysis; insemination; sperm motility; oviposition; myocytes; turgor; epithelial cells
- ... We investigated sperm storage, sperm transfer from the oviduct to the seminal receptacle, and formation of the cuticular genitalia in female Armadillidium vulgare using light and electron microscopy. Apolysis of the genitalia within the oviduct forms a circum-genital lumen. During insemination this space is filled with immobile spermatozoa. Sperm transfer into the seminal receptacle takes place be ...