Jump to Main Content
- Hemelrijk, Charlotte K.; van Zuidam, Lars; Hildenbrandt, Hanno
- Behavioral ecology and sociobiology 2015 v.69 no.5 pp. 755-764
- information exchange, etc ; Sturnus vulgaris; agitation; flocks; models; prediction; wild birds; Show all 7 Subjects
- ... Fast transfer of information in groups can have survival value. An example is the so-called wave of agitation observed in groups of animals of several taxa under attack. It has been shown to reduce predator success. It usually involves the repetition of a manoeuvre throughout the group, transmitting the information of the attack quickly, faster than the group moves itself. The specific manoeuvre u ...
- PubMed Central:
- McLean, Claire A.; Stuart-Fox, Devi
- Behavioral ecology and sociobiology 2015 v.69 no.4 pp. 523-531
- information exchange, etc ; body size; ecology; head; lakes; lizards; males; physical activity; Show all 8 Subjects
- ... Although the outcome of contests is often critical to fitness, we still have much to learn regarding the reliability of different predictors of fighting ability (e.g. morphological traits versus performance measures) and the strategies individuals use to decide when to withdraw. We examined predictors of contest success and assessment strategies in staged contests between male Lake Eyre dragon liz ...