Jump to Main Content
- Baladrón, Alejandro V., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Behavioural processes 2018 v.157 pp. 199-203
- Athene cunicularia; Vanellus chilensis; antipredatory behavior; breeding; foraging; habitats; mammals; nesting; risk assessment
- ... Eavesdropping is a widespread behaviour among animals, providing the receiver with valuable information to assess the habitat, resources or threats. This kind of behaviour has been reported for the burrowing owl (Athene cunicularia), which in its northern range lives in close association with fossorial mammals and eavesdrops on their alarm calls as indicators of risk. In their southernmost range, ...
- Baladrón, Alejandro V., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Behavioural processes 2016 v.124 pp. 60-65
- Athene cunicularia; aggression; cities; dogs; domestic animals; energy; fearfulness; flight; habitats; humans; models; nests; predators; risk perception; towns; urban areas; urbanization; walking; wild animals; wildlife
- ... Urban areas expose wildlife to an array of novel predators, amongst which, humans and dogs are highly frequent. Thus, wild animals living in urban areas are forced to invest more time and energy in defence behaviours, which depend on how the risk is perceived and assessed. We experimentally tested whether Burrowing owls coming from rural and urban habitats showed differences in behavioural respons ...