Jump to Main Content
- De Martino, Alessandra; Amato, Alberto; Bowler, Chris
- BioEssays 2009 v.31 no.8 pp. 874-884
- Bacillariophyceae; aquatic organisms; biofuels; chimerism; mitosis; models; nucleotide sequences; oxygen; symbiosis
- ... Diatoms are important protists that generate one fifth of the oxygen produced annually on earth. These aquatic organisms likely derived from a secondary endosymbiosis event, and they display peculiar genomic and structural features that reflect their chimeric origin. Diatoms were one of the first models of cell division and these early studies revealed a range of interesting features including a u ...
- Davies, Jamie
- BioEssays 2009 v.31 no.8 pp. 826-830
- gene expression regulation; gene targeting; model validation; models
- ... Much contemporary biology consists of identifying the molecular components that associate to perform biological functions, then discovering how these functions are controlled. The concept of control is key to biological understanding, at least of the physiological kind; identifying regulators of processes underpins ideas of causality and allows complicated, multicomponent systems to be summarized ...