Jump to Main Content
- Amoah, Jerome; Hasunuma, Tomohisa; Ogino, Chiaki; Kondo, Akihiko
- Biochemical engineering journal 2019 v.142 pp. 117-123
- Chlorella sorokiniana; biomass; carbohydrate content; carbon; carbon dioxide; feedstocks; hydroxymethylfurfural; lignocellulose; lipid content; lipids; lithium chloride; microalgae; plastids; scanning electron microscopy; starch; sugarcane bagasse; sugars
- ... 5-hydroxymethylfurfural (5-HMF), a key precursor to biochemicals has been produced from simple sugars. We report the production of 5-HMF directly from sustainable Chlorella sorokiniana cultivated in a saline medium supplied with CO2 as the sole carbon source. 43% carbohydrate and 16% lipid production in C. sorokiniana were achieved with an optimized CO2 concentration of 1%. 5-HMF yield of 52% was ...
- Huang, Liang; Fu, Xian-Zhong; Cui, Shuo; Liu, Hou-Qi; Yu, Han-Qing; Li, Wen-Wei
- Biochemical engineering journal 2019 v.142 pp. 68-73
- anaerobic digestion; batch fermentation; biochemical pathways; carbon; carbon sequestration; electrons; glucose; mathematical models; monitoring; osmotic pressure; polymers; salinity; sludge; sodium chloride; solutes; volatile fatty acids; wastewater; wastewater treatment
- ... High salinity can suppress the metabolic activities of anaerobic sludge in treating saline organic wastewater, but its impacts on production of intracellular polymers, which play important roles in microbial metabolism and carbon storage, remain unclear. This work examined the dynamics of intracellular polymers, functioning as microbial storage (for supplementing re-utilizable carbon source) and c ...