Jump to Main Content
- Bruder, Stefan; Boles, Eckhard
- Biochemical engineering journal 2017 v.120 pp. 103-112
- NADP (coenzyme); Saccharomyces cerevisiae; acetaldehyde; alkaloids; benzaldehyde; benzoic acid; benzyl alcohol; biotransformation; byproducts; ephedrine; heterologous gene expression; mutants; pyruvate decarboxylase; yeasts
- ... (R)-phenylacetylcarbinol (PAC) is a precursor of the pharmaceutical alkaloid ephedrine. It is produced in biotransformations with the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae via condensation of benzaldehyde and fermentation-derived acetaldehyde mediated by pyruvate decarboxylase (Pdc). To improve PAC formation with S. cerevisiae various Pdc isoforms isolated from an industrial PAC producing yeast strain an ...
- Al-Mamun, Abdullah; Baawain, Mahad Said; Egger, Felix; Al-Muhtaseb, Ala’a Hamed; Ng, How Yong
- Biochemical engineering journal 2017 v.120 pp. 93-102
- acetates; byproducts; catalytic activity; denitrification; denitrifying microorganisms; electrochemistry; electrodes; energy; microbial fuel cells; nitrate nitrogen; nitrates; nitrites; nitrogen; nitrogen dioxide; streams; wastewater; wastewater treatment
- ... Microbial fuel cells (MFCs) gained emerging attention as an eco-friendly pathway for recovering electrical energy and treating wastewater. The electrochemical catalysis of cathodic reactions was one of the important issues for practical application of MFC technology. Here, it was disclosed the performance of a stake up-flow baffled-reactor MFC in which autotrophic denitrifying microorganisms catal ...