Jump to Main Content
- Sasaki, Kengo; Matsuda, Fumio; Hasunuma, Tomohisa; Ogino, Chiaki; Urairi, Masakatsu; Yoshida, Kazuhito; Kondo, Akihiko
- Biochemical engineering journal 2013 v.70 pp. 135-139
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae; biomass; byproducts; culture media; distillation; ethanol; ethanol fermentation; lignocellulose; rice straw; vapors; yeast extract
- ... A perfluoropolymer (PFP) membrane has been prepared for use in vapor permeation to separate aqueous ethanol mixtures produced from rice straw with xylose-assimilating recombinant Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PFP membranes commonly have been used for dehydration process and possess good selectivity and high permeances. The effects of by-products during dilute acid pretreatment, addition of yeast extra ...
- Muñoz, Raúl; Gan, Eleonora I.H.H.; Hernández, María; Quijano, Guillermo
- Biochemical engineering journal 2013 v.70 pp. 9-16
- aerobiosis; biocatalysis; biodegradation; biomass; bioreactors; culture media; dissolved oxygen; hexane; hexanols; hydrophobicity; metabolites; microorganisms; oils; oxygen; silicone; volatile organic compounds
- ... An innovative operation mode in two-liquid phase bioreactors (TLPB) for the treatment of volatile organic compounds (VOC) was investigated. This mode was based on confining the biocatalytic activity exclusively in the non-aqueous phase (NAP) by using hydrophobic microorganisms. The TLPB was implemented in a 2.5L stirred tank reactor using 10% (v/v) of silicone oil as NAP and hexane as model VOC. A ...