Jump to Main Content
- Estell, Rick E., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Biochemical systematics and ecology 2016 v.65 pp. 108-114
- Flourensia; carbon; forage production; grasslands; herbivores; leaves; light intensity; livestock; phenolic compounds; rangelands; secondary metabolites; semiarid zones; shade; shrubs; solar radiation; terpenoids; ultraviolet radiation; wavelengths; Chihuahuan Desert
- ... Flourensia cernua (tarbush) is a shrub that has encroached into grasslands in many areas of the northern Chihuahuan Desert and contains high levels of carbon-based secondary compounds. Concentrations of secondary compounds are affected by numerous biotic and abiotic influences, including amount and wavelength of solar radiation. However, responses to shade and ultraviolet light restriction are inc ...
- Estell, Rick E., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Biochemical systematics and ecology 2013 v.48 pp. 144
- Flourensia; canopy; gas chromatography; leaves; mass spectrometry; models; monoterpenoids; sesquiterpenoids; shrubs; volatile compounds
- ... We are using Flourensia cernua as a shrub model to study how terpenes affect livestock herbivory. Two experiments were conducted to examine distribution of volatile chemicals within a plant in an effort to minimize sample variability. In Experiment 1, leaves (current year's growth) were collected from 20 tarbush plants. Two leaders were sampled from each of three positions (outer canopy, subcanopy ...