Jump to Main Content
- Carrillo, Yolima; Dijkstra, Feike A.; LeCain, Dan; Pendall, Elise
- Biogeochemistry 2016 v.127 no.1 pp. 45-55
- C3 plants, etc ; carbon; carbon dioxide; carbon sequestration; carbon sinks; ecosystems; fungi; grasses; nutrients; plant residues; rhizosphere; soil; soil organic matter; soil stabilization; stable isotopes; vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizae; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... Arbuscular mycorrhizal (AMF) function has mostly been studied from the plant perspective, but there is a shortage of empirical assessments of their ecosystem level impacts on soil carbon (C). Our understanding of the role of AMF on C processing belowground has been restricted mostly to fresh plant residues, not stabilized soil organic matter. The mechanisms by which elevated CO₂ (eCO₂) alter soil ...
- Throop, Heather L.; Lajtha, Kate; Kramer, Marc
- Biogeochemistry 2013 v.112 no.1-3 pp. 409-422
- C3 plants, etc ; C4 plants; Larrea tridentata; Prosopis; arid lands; carbon; carbon sinks; carbonates; ecological invasion; ecosystems; fractionation; grassland soils; grasslands; land cover; models; organic matter; shrubs; soil nutrient dynamics; stable isotopes; Chihuahuan Desert; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... Woody encroachment has dramatically changed land cover patterns in arid and semiarid systems (drylands) worldwide over the past 150 years. This change is known to influence bulk soil carbon (C) pools, but the implications for dynamics and stability of these pools are not well understood. Working in a Chihuahuan Desert C₄ grassland encroached by C₃ creosote bush (Larrea tridentata), we used two den ...