Jump to Main Content
- Steffen, John E.; Guyer, Craig C.
- Biological journal of the Linnean Society 2014 v.111 no.3 pp. 646-655
- color; females; lizards; males
- ... Many animals display visual signals in male contests for access to females and territories. These visual signals can be multimodal and stimulate different aspects of a signal receiver's visual system. Over two summers, we tested whether aspects of behaviour and dewlap colour might function as signals that predict contest success when males compete for access to either mates or territories in male ...
- Cutuli, Giulia; Cannicci, Stefano; Vannini, Marco; Fratini, Sara
- Biological journal of the Linnean Society 2014 v.111 no.3 pp. 656-667
- Chelonia; Testudo; courtship; females; male effect; males; mating systems; paternity; sexual selection; tortoises
- ... Honest‐advertisement models of sexual selection suggest that condition‐dependent male secondary sexual characters could function as reliable signals of male quality, enabling females to discriminate among potential partners, both in the pre‐ and post‐copulatory phases. In this context, many studies have revealed the importance of promiscuous mating systems and female sperm storage in determining t ...