Jump to Main Content
- BARTON, PHILIP S.; GIBB, HELOISE; MANNING, ADRIAN D.; LINDENMAYER, DAVID B.; CUNNINGHAM, SAUL A.
- Biological journal of the Linnean Society 2011 v.102 no.2 pp. 301-310
- Carabidae; Curculionidae; Scarabaeidae; Staphylinidae; abdomen; body length; diet; microhabitats; phylogeny; trees
- ... We explored how morphological traits can complement phylogenetic information to extend our predictions of the ecology of a diverse beetle assemblage. We analysed ten morphological traits from an assemblage of 239 species from 35 families, and identified three axes of morphological variation that were independent of body length: (1) relative robustness; (2) relative appendage length; and (3) relati ...
- MORENO, JUAN; SOLER, JUAN J.
- Biological journal of the Linnean Society 2011 v.102 no.2 pp. 440-454
- Passeriformes; adults; birds; breeding; diet; forest habitats; juveniles; life history; nests; phylogeny; pigments; plumage; predation; regression analysis; risk; sexual dimorphism; winter
- ... Juveniles of many avian species possess a spotted or mottled body plumage that is visually distinct from the plumage of adults. In other species, however, juveniles fledge with a body plumage that is just a pale representation of adult female plumage. The reasons for this variation are poorly understood. Several hypotheses concerning social (parent-offspring, adult-juvenile, juvenile-juvenile), ec ...