Jump to Main Content
- Moller, A. P., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Biological journal of the Linnean Society 1992 v.45 no.4 pp. 363-372
- birds; clutch size; equations; insemination; regression analysis; spermatozoa; storage time
- ... Estimates of the numbers of sperm storage tubules (SSTs) in the utero-vaginal junction of 11 bird species are presented. Numbers of SSTs varied by a factor of 40 between species, and ranged from 500 to 20000. Body mass accounted for over 50% of the variation in SST mumbers. SST length was positively correlated with the length of spermatozoa across species. The duration of sperm storage was not cor ...
- MØLLER, A. P., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Biological journal of the Linnean Society 1989 v.38 no.2 pp. 119-131
- burrows; copulation; females; insurance; males; mate guarding; monogamy; paternity; polygyny; small mammals; sperm competition
- ... We review information on copulation behaviour and sperm competition in mammals using data primarily from the literature. Female mammals of many species regularly copulate with more than one male during each oestrous period. Such multi-male copulations are reported more often in social, compared with solitary species. In addition, the mates of males of polygynous species experience multi-male copul ...