Jump to Main Content
- Teutscherova, Nikola; Vazquez, Eduardo; Masaguer, Alberto; Navas, Mariela; Scow, Kate M; Schmidt, Radomir; Benito, Marta
- Biology and fertility of soils 2017 v.53 no.7 pp. 811-821
- Archaea; acid soils; ammonia; ammonium; ammonium nitrogen; bacteria; biochar; calcium carbonate; genes; microbial activity; microbial communities; mineralization; nitrate nitrogen; nitrification; nitrogen; nitrogen cycle; oxidants; soil amendments; soil fertility; soil pH
- ... Ca-amendments are recommended for soil fertility enhancement in acid soils. Biochar (Bc) can be used as an alternative for the same purpose. Biochar additions have been reported to alter microbial communities in soils and biogeochemical processes including nitrogen (N) cycling. In a microcosm experiment, we investigated the interactive effects of soil pH, the type of soil amendment (lime or biocha ...
- Wei, Xiaomeng; Hu, Yajun; Peng, Peiqin; Zhu, Zhenke; Atere, Cornelius Talade; O’Donnell, Anthony G.; Wu, Jinshui; Ge, Tida
- Biology and fertility of soils 2017 v.53 no.7 pp. 767-776
- ammonia; biogeochemical cycles; denitrification; denitrifying microorganisms; ecosystems; genes; nitrification; nutrient availability; oxygen; paddies; paddy soils; phosphorus; quantitative polymerase chain reaction; rhizosphere; roots; seedlings; stoichiometry
- ... Previous studies have shown that phosphorus addition to P-limited soils increases gaseous N loss. A possible explanation for this phenomenon is element stoichiometry (specifically of C:N:P) modifying linked nutrient cycling, leading to enhanced nitrification and denitrification. In this study, we investigated how P stoichiometry influenced the dynamics of soil N-cycle functional genes. Rice seedli ...