Jump to Main Content
- Nichols, Nancy N.; Hector, Ronald E.; Saha, Badal C.; Frazer, Sarah E.; Kennedy, Gregory J.
- Biomass and bioenergy 2014 v.67 pp. 79
- ethanol fermentation, etc ; Coniochaeta; Escherichia coli; Saccharomyces cerevisiae; acetates; acid treatment; aldehydes; arabinose; aromatic compounds; bioenergy; biomass; chemical concentration; ethanol; ethanol production; fungi; furans; genetically engineered microorganisms; glucose; growth retardation; hemicellulose; hydrolysates; lignin; lignocellulose; pH; pentoses; rice hulls; xylan; xylose; Show all 28 Subjects
- ... Microbial inhibitors arise from lignin, hemicellulose, and degraded sugar during pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass. The fungus Coniochaeta ligniaria NRRL30616 has native ability to metabolize a number of these compounds, including furan and aromatic aldehydes known to act as inhibitors toward relevant fermenting microbes. In this study, C. ligniaria was used to metabolize and remove inhibito ...
- Qureshi, Nasib; Saha, Badal C.; Hector, Ronald E.; Cotta, Michael A.
- Biomass and bioenergy 2008 v.32 no.12 pp. 1353
- batch fermentation, etc ; wheat straw; peroxides; chemical treatment; enzymatic hydrolysis; butanol; hydrolysates; Clostridium beijerinckii; enzyme inhibitors; glucose; plant fibers; corn; sulfuric acid; acetone; ethanol; ethanol production; biofuels; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... In these studies, alkaline peroxide pretreatment of wheat straw was investigated. Pretreated wheat straw was hydrolyzed using cellulolytic and xylanolytic enzymes, and the hydrolysate was used to produce butanol using Clostridium beijerinckii P260. The culture produced less than 2.59 g L-1 acetone-butanol-ethanol (ABE) from alkaline peroxide wheat straw hydrolysate (APWSH) that had not been treate ...