Jump to Main Content
- Allenby, Mark C.; Panoskaltsis, Nicki; Tahlawi, Asma; Dos Santos, Susana Brito; Mantalaris, Athanasios
- Biomaterials 2019 v.188 pp. 24-37
- umbilical cord, etc ; biomimetics; bioreactors; bone marrow; drug evaluation; erythrocytes; erythropoiesis; erythropoietin; extracellular matrix proteins; humans; image analysis; niches; stem cell factor; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Traditional culture systems for human erythropoiesis lack microenvironmental niches, spatial marrow gradients and dense cellularity rendering them incapable of effectively translating marrow physiology ex vivo. Herein, a bio-inspired three-dimensional (3D) perfusion bioreactor was engineered and inoculated with unselected single donor umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (CBMNCs). Functional str ...
- Ghorbel, Mohamed T.; Jia, Huidong; Swim, Megan M.; Iacobazzi, Dominga; Albertario, Ambra; Zebele, Carlo; Holopherne-Doran, Delphine; Hollander, Anthony; Madeddu, Paolo; Caputo, Massimo
- Biomaterials 2019 v.217 pp. 119284
- umbilical cord, etc ; animal models; biodegradability; bioreactors; blood; endothelial cells; endothelium; heart abnormalities; humans; immunohistochemistry; intestines; mesenchymal stromal cells; myocytes; piglets; pulmonary artery; smooth muscle; surgery; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... Lack of growth potential of available grafts represents a bottleneck in the correction of congenital heart defects. Here we used a swine small intestinal submucosa (SIS) graft functionalized with mesenchymal stem cell (MSC)-derived vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs), for replacement of the pulmonary artery in piglets.MSCs were expanded from human umbilical cord blood or new-born swine peripheral ...