Jump to Main Content
- Bae, Daekyeong; Moon, Sung-Hwan; Park, Bo Gi; Park, Soon-Jung; Jung, Taekhee; Kim, Jung Suk; Lee, Kyu Back; Chung, Hyung-Min
- Biomaterials 2014 v.35 no.3 pp. 916-928
- cadherins; cytoskeleton; embryonic stem cells; focal adhesions; gene expression; humans; medicine; nanomaterials
- ... Recently emerging evidence has indicated surface nanotopography as an important physical parameter in the stem cell niche for regulating cell fate and behaviors for various types of stem cells. In this study, a substrate featuring arrays of increasing nanopillar diameter was devised to investigate the effects of varying surface nanotopography on the maintenance of undifferentiated human embryonic ...
- Müller, Karin H.; Motskin, Michael; Philpott, Alistair J.; Routh, Alexander F.; Shanahan, Catherine M.; Duer, Melinda J.; Skepper, Jeremy N.
- Biomaterials 2014 v.35 no.3 pp. 1074-1088
- calcification; cytotoxicity; dispersants; dose response; extracellular space; humans; hydroxyapatite; image analysis; macrophages; medicine; nanoparticles
- ... Agglomeration dramatically affects many aspects of nanoparticle–cell interactions. Here we show that hydroxyapatite nanoparticles formed large agglomerates in biological medium resulting in extensive particle uptake and dose-dependent cytotoxicity in human macrophages. Particle citration and/or the addition of the dispersant Darvan 7 dramatically reduced mean agglomerate sizes, the amount of parti ...