Jump to Main Content
- Chen, You-Peng, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Bioresource technology 2018 v.257 pp. 7-16
- activated sludge; bacteria; biomass production; denitrifying microorganisms; dissolved oxygen; energy; enzyme activity; metabolism; nitrates; nitrites; oxygen; proteins; wastewater treatment
- ... Sludge reduction based on regulating substrate allocation between catabolism and anabolism as a strategy is proposed to reduce energy and chemicals consumption during wastewater treatment. The results indicated that a sludge reduction of 14.8% and excellent nutrient removal were simultaneously achieved in the low dissolved oxygen (LDO) activated sludge system with a hydraulic retention time of 24 ...
- Chen, You-Peng, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Bioresource technology 2017 v.232 pp. 354-363
- activated sludge; adsorption; binding sites; calorimetry; cations; electrostatic interactions; enthalpy; environmental factors; heavy metals; metal ions; proteins; titration; wastewater treatment
- ... Extracellular polymeric substances (EPS) play a crucial role in heavy metal bio-adsorption using activated sludge, but the interaction mechanism between heavy metals and EPS remains unclear. Isothermal titration calorimetry was employed to illuminate the mechanism in this study. The results indicate that binding between heavy metals and EPS is spontaneous and driven mainly by enthalpy change. Extr ...