Jump to Main Content
- Orlova, Yevgeniya; Linker, Raphael; Spektor, Boris
- Biosystems engineering 2012 v.112 no.4 pp. 278-284
- air; air flow; chicken eggs; egg membranes; egg shell; eggs; evolution; image analysis; models
- ... The expansion of an existing crack in chicken eggs exposed to an abrupt pressure drop was investigated. The initial crack was induced in the eggshells by two weak mechanical impacts close enough to induce a macro-crack oriented mainly along the direction of the meridian. The cracked eggs were placed in a custom-made pressure chamber in which the pressure was abruptly decreased to −25 kPa. During t ...
- Román, Franz; Strahl-Schäfer, Vitus; Hensel, Oliver
- Biosystems engineering 2012 v.112 no.4 pp. 359-369
- air; air flow; batch dryers; diffusers; drying; energy; wood chips
- ... Uneven air distribution is a major problem in the performance of batch dryers. Zones receiving a higher airflow rate dry faster, and this heterogeneity reduces efficiency by increasing energy consumption and drying time. A simple box dryer with 36 boxes placed over the plenum chamber was built and tested and computational fluid dynamics was used to simulate its air distribution. Simulations showed ...