Jump to Main Content
- Mao, Xiangzhao; Liu, Zhen; Sun, Jianan; Lee, Sang Yup
- Biotechnology advances 2017 v.35 no.8 pp. 1004-1021
- bioactive compounds; drugs; metabolic engineering; nutritive value; omega-3 fatty acids; synthesis; terpenoids
- ... Many marine bioactive compounds have medicinal and nutritional values. These bioactive compounds have been prepared using solvent-based extraction from marine bio-resources or chemical synthesis, which are costly, inefficient with low yields, and environmentally unfriendly. Recent advances in metabolic engineering allowed to some extent more efficient production of these compounds, showing promise ...
- Li, Lei; Jiang, Weihong; Lu, Yinhua
- Biotechnology advances 2017 v.35 no.8 pp. 936-949
- DNA; DNA assembly; drugs; engineering; gene editing; genome mining; multigene family; technology
- ... With the rapidly growing number of sequenced microbial (meta)genomes, enormous cryptic natural product (NP) biosynthetic gene clusters (BGCs) have been identified, which are regarded as a rich reservoir for novel drug discovery. A series of powerful tools for engineering BGCs has accelerated the discovery and development of pharmaceutically active NPs. Here, we describe recent advances in the stra ...