Jump to Main Content
- Lemley, Daniel Alan; Nunes, Monique; Adams, Janine Barbara
- Botanica marina 2018 v.61 no.6 pp. 559-572
- Bacillariophyceae; biomass; ecosystem services; ecosystems; environmental impact; estuaries; eutrophication; global change; microalgae; models; nitrates; nitrogen; phytoplankton; socioeconomics; species diversity; temporal variation; water temperature
- ... The increasing incidence of eutrophication has potentially detrimental socio-economic and ecological consequences. This study aimed to elucidate the temporal dynamics of algal communities in response to increasing initial concentrations of inorganic nitrogen (particularly nitrate) – central components of eutrophication. A contained microcosm experiment was designed to mimic the conditions of shall ...
- Fotedar, Rashmi; Kolecka, Anna; Boekhout, Teun; Fell, Jack W.; Al-Malki, Ameena; Zeyara, Aisha; Al Marri, Masoud
- Botanica marina 2018 v.61 no.6 pp. 595-609
- Alternaria; Aspergillus; Basidiomycota; Cladosporium; DNA barcoding; Penicillium; actin; calmodulin; ecosystems; fungi; genes; glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase; hypersalinity; internal transcribed spacers; peptide elongation factors; rain; ribosomal DNA; species identification; summer; temperature; tubulin; winter; Qatar
- ... The hypersaline Inland Sea in Qatar constitutes a unique ecosystem characterized by salinities up to saturation, extreme temperature fluctuations, and limited rainfall. To reveal the fungal diversity of this environment, we isolated fungi from water samples collected at the Inland Sea. Taxonomic identification of the isolates was done via DNA barcoding of the ITS1 and ITS2 ribosomal DNA (rDNA) dom ...