Jump to Main Content
- Saunders, Gary W.; Wadland, Katelyn L.; Salomaki, Eric D.; Lane, Christopher E.
- Botany 2017 v.95 no.6 pp. 561-566
- DNA barcoding; Florideophyceae; algae; epiphytes; fauna; flora; genes; new order; phylogeny; surveys
- ... Routine DNA barcode surveys of red algae can occasionally yield contaminant sequences owing to the diverse epi/endo flora and fauna that can inhabit these species. Often discarded as nuisance data, further exploration in this study led to the discovery of an unusual red alga with a highly characteristic vegetative development in which the diminutive primary vegetative filaments are terminated by d ...
- de la Rosa-Manzano, Edilia; Guerra-Pérez, Antonio; Mendieta-Leiva, Glenda; Mora-Olivo, Arturo; Martínez-Ávalos, José Guadalupe; Arellano-Méndez, Leonardo U.
- Botany 2017 v.95 no.6 pp. 599-610
- conservation areas; ecosystems; epiphytes; forest types; spatial distribution; species diversity; trees; Mexico
- ... We assessed the diversity, vertical distribution, and the effect of structural and geographical factors on the diversity of vascular epiphyte assemblages (VEAs) in two forest types in the “El Cielo” Biosphere Reserve. We found 2839 epiphyte individuals from 15 species on 240 host trees (27 species) in the semideciduous forest and 5085 individuals from 8 species on 215 host trees (12 species) in th ...