Jump to Main Content
- Schlecht, R.M.; Affleck, D.L.R.
- Canadian journal of forest research 2014 v.44 no.5 pp. 499-508
- conifers; probability; branches; allometry; branching; bioenergy; Larix occidentalis; fuels (fire ecology); tree trunk; trees; carbon sinks; Pseudotsuga menziesii; biomass; stand basal area
- ... Characterizations of conifer crown biomass are important for assessing forest fuel loadings, bioenergy supplies, carbon stocks, and growth and yield. There is considerable variation in conifer crown mass, but to guide sampling programs, there is little quantitative information available concerning its structure or extent. This research examines several randomized branch sampling (RBS) strategies a ...
- Lucash, Melissa S.; Scheller, Robert M.; Kretchun, Alec M.; Clark, Kenneth L.; Hom, John
- Canadian journal of forest research 2014 v.44 no.5 pp. 404-412
- climate; climate change; forests; landscapes; nitrogen; nitrogen cycle; pine barrens; prediction; simulation models; temperature; wildfires; New Jersey
- ... Increased wildfires and temperatures due to climate change are expected to have profound effects on forest productivity and nitrogen (N) cycling. Forecasts about how wildfire and climate change will affect forests seldom consider N availability, which may limit forest response to climate change, particularly in fire-prone landscapes. The overall objective of this study was to examine how wildfire ...