Jump to Main Content
- Lu, Pengxin; Derbowka, Darren
- Canadian journal of forest research 2011 v.42 no.1 pp. 67-74
- Cronartium ribicola; Pinus strobus; backcrossing; blister rust; genetic resistance; genotype; growing season; hybrids; mortality; pathogens; seedlings
- ... Seedling age at the time of artificial white pine blister rust (Cronartium ribicola J.C. Fisch.) inoculation can affect the duration and accuracy of resistance assessments for eastern white pine (Pinus strobus L.) and its hybrid backcrosses and thereby affect advances in breeding programs intended to enhance genetic resistance to the pathogen. Based on postinoculation seedling mortality rates, up ...
- Marchand, Neil; Filion, Louise
- Canadian journal of forest research 2011 v.42 no.1 pp. 12-22
- Pinus strobus; cambium; climatic factors; databases; drainage; growing season; soil; stems; summer; temperature; trees; water stress; wood; Quebec
- ... False rings are intra-annual bands of wood darker than the adjacent wood. They have been reported for several species of Pinus, although not previously for white pine (Pinus strobus L.). In southwestern Quebec, false rings were found to be very common among white pine, an indication that the species is sensitive to water stress in this region. False rings were analyzed on 110 trees from 12 mature ...