Jump to Main Content
- Cecil-Cockwell, Malcolm J.L.; Caspersen, John P.
- Canadian journal of forest research = 2015 v.45 no.7 pp. 900-909
- hardwood forests, etc ; Acer saccharum subsp. saccharum; logging; risk; sawlogs; trees; vigor; Show all 7 Subjects
- ... In northern hardwood forests, treemarkers are responsible for selecting the trees to be harvested during commercial logging operations. They often select trees based on the presence and severity of defects, information that is used to assign trees to two or more vigour classes (reflecting the risk of dying or declining in growth) and two or more quality classes (reflecting the potential for recove ...
- Lambert, Jean-Bastien; Ameztegui, Aitor; Delagrange, Sylvain; Messier, Christian
- Canadian journal of forest research = 2015 v.46 no.1 pp. 114-121
- hardwood forests, etc ; Acer saccharum subsp. saccharum; Betula alleghaniensis; basal area; coniferous forests; conifers; dead wood; dry matter partitioning; germination; juveniles; mineral soils; mosses and liverworts; plant litter; seedbeds; shade tolerance; trees; understory; Quebec; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Small-seeded tree species such as yellow birch (YB, Betula alleghaniensis Britt.) require deadwood or mineral soil for their establishment. Although much research has been done comparing YB germination on leaf litter vs. exposed mineral soil, less is known about deadwood as a seedbed and how different seedbeds affect YB early growth along light availability and size gradients. We examine how three ...