Jump to Main Content
- Bates, P.C.; Blinn, C.R.; Alm, A.A.
- Canadian journal of forest research = 1993 v.23 no.11 pp. 2403-2412
- Populus tremuloides; natural regeneration; suckering; harvesting; logging; summer; winter; Minnesota
- ... The increasing commercial demand for quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) has sparked renewed interest in aspen silvics and management. While aspen generally regenerates vigorously by root suckering following clear-cutting, recent reports of unsuccessful regeneration suggest a linkage to harvesting activities. Accordingly we evaluated the effects of harvest season and equipment trafficking o ...
- Lane, C.J.; Reed, D.D.; Mroz, G.D.; Liechty, H.O.
- Canadian journal of forest research = 1993 v.23 no.11 pp. 2370-2375
- Acer saccharum; growth rings; climatic factors; dendroclimatology; Michigan; Minnesota
- ... The effects of climate on the growth of sugar maple (Acer saccharum Marsh.) were studied at five sites along an 800-km acidic deposition gradient from Cook County, Minnesota, to Oceana County, Michigan. Fifty increment cores were taken from 25 dominant and codominant individuals at each site in the spring of 1990. Annual ring widths (1940-1989) were measured to 0.01 mm, standardized by taking the ...