Jump to Main Content
- Adak, Avijit K.; Li, Ben-Yuan; Lin, Chun-Cheng
- Carbohydrate research 2015 v.405 pp. 2-12
- bioassays; biosensors; carbohydrates; cell membranes; enzymes; glycosylation; image analysis; ligands; magnetism; metals; nanoparticles; vaccines
- ... Applications of glycosylated nanomaterials have gained considerable attention in recent years due to their unique structural properties and compatibility in biological systems. In this review, glyco-nanoparticles (glyco-NPs) are defined as compounds that contain a nano-sized metallic core, are composed of noble metals, magnetic elements, or binary inorganic nanoparticles, and that exhibit carbohyd ...
- Wang, Peng; Kouyoumdjian, Hovig; Zhu, David C.; Huang, Xuefei
- Carbohydrate research 2015 v.405 pp. 110-114
- Alzheimer disease; amyloid; brain; cytotoxicity; enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay; gel electrophoresis; heparin; magnetism; nanoparticles; neurons
- ... Accumulation of β amyloid (Aβ) in the brain is believed to play a key role in the pathology of Alzheimer’s disease. Glycosaminoglycans on surface of neuronal cells can serve as nucleation sites to promote plaque formation on cell surface. To mimic this process, magnetic nanoparticles coated with heparin have been synthesized. The heparin nanoparticles were demonstrated to bind with Aβ through a va ...