Jump to Main Content
- Tatina, Robert
- Castanea 2015 v.80 no.2 pp. 95-102
- temperature; germination; windthrow; seeds; snowpack; juveniles; seed predation; seedlings; surveys; Fagus grandifolia; climate change; trees; storms; Acer saccharum; stand basal area; mortality; forests; Michigan
- ... In the beech-maple forest at Warren Woods State Park, the importance values of Fagus grandifolia and Acer saccharum have increased compared with their values from the 1829 Government Land Office survey of the same area—a small increase for F. grandifolia and a large increase for A. saccharum. For F. grandifolia the greatest increase between 1829 and 2014 was in basal area per tree, suggesting that ...
- Tyndall, R. Wayne
- Castanea 2015 v.80 no.2 pp. 77-94
- Carex pensylvanica; Carya glabra; Quercus montana; endangered species; fires; forests; ground vegetation; hardwood; herbaceous plants; herbicides; prescribed burning; savannas; shale; species diversity; woodlands; woody plants; Maryland
- ... Maryland shale barren (savanna) communities support rare, threatened, and endangered species, but biodiversity conservation sites are transitioning to pignut hickory woodland and forest as a result of fire exclusion. In Green Ridge State Forest, an exemplary community was studied for vegetation change after pignut hickory management and a prescribed burn. Portions of contiguous chestnut oak (Querc ...