Jump to Main Content
- Yibeltal, Mesenbet; Tsunekawa, Atsushi; Haregeweyn, Nigussie; Adgo, Enyew; Meshesha, Derege Tsegaye; Aklog, Dagnachew; Masunaga, Tsugiyuki; Tsubo, Mitsuru; Billi, Paolo; Vanmaercke, Matthias; Ebabu, Kindiye; Dessie, Mekete; Sultan, Dagnenet; Liyew, Mulatu
- Catena 2019 v.179 pp. 160-174
- aerial photography; agroecology; basins; computer software; cultivation area; geographic information systems; gully erosion; human settlements; image interpretation; land degradation; land use; landscape position; ravines; remote sensing; soil; surveys; water conservation; watersheds; Ethiopia
- ... Gully erosion is one of the main causes of land degradation, particularly in the drought-prone regions of Ethiopia. This study assessed spatio-temporal changes of gully length and density in watershed pairs in Guder, Aba Gerima, and Dibatie sites, which are representative highland, midland, and lowland agro-ecologies in the Upper Blue Nile basin of Ethiopia. Aerial photographs (1957, 1982) and ver ...
- Sun, Bin; Wang, Yan; Li, Zengyuan; Gao, Wentao; Wu, Junjun; Li, Changlong; Song, Zhangliang; Gao, Zhihai
- Catena 2019 v.179 pp. 85-97
- agricultural land; arid lands; carbon cycle; climate; data collection; desertification; deserts; forest land; grasslands; land degradation; land use; moderate resolution imaging spectroradiometer; population characteristics; remote sensing; satellites; shrublands; simulation models; soil organic carbon; soil respiration; spatial variation; temporal variation; time series analysis; China
- ... Accurate quantitative estimates of Soil Organic Carbon Density (SOCD) can effectively represent regional carbon cycle processes and regulation mechanisms, and can serve as reference data when making land management decisions. Limited research, however, has been carried out in arid or desert zones covered with sparse vegetation, despite the fact that these cover wide areas of the earth and play a s ...