Jump to Main Content
- Geissen, V.; Wang, S.; Oostindie, K.; Huerta, E.; Zwart, K.B.; Smit, A.; Ritsema, C.J.; Moore, D.
- Catena 2013 v.101 pp. 50-55
- agricultural land; bulk density; carbon sequestration; earthworms; environmental protection; heathlands; microbial activity; sandy soils; soil biological properties; soil quality; soil structure; topsoil; Netherlands
- ... We studied the effect of topsoil removal, a nature management technique used in The Netherlands and other countries in North Europe to restore heathland vegetation. Sandy soils under original heathland vegetation were compared with sites that were transformed to farmland in 1950 and sites where after the transformation topsoil removal took place in the 1990s. All soils were sandy and acidic. Topso ...
- Li, Mingming; Zhang, Xingchang; Pang, Guowei; Han, Fengpeng
- Catena 2013 v.101 pp. 11-16
- topography; greenhouse gases; shrublands; soil organic carbon; agricultural land; geostatistics; bulk density; soil depth; watersheds; carbon sequestration; hydrology; soil sampling; woodlands; soil productivity; land use; grasslands; soil density; China
- ... The distribution and storage of soil organic carbon serve as basic data for the study of soil productivity, soil hydrological properties, and the balance among carbon-based greenhouse gases. In this study, the organic carbon storage and density distribution characteristics of the soil in the Zhifanggou catchment on the Loess Plateau were studied based on field investigations, laboratory measuremen ...