Jump to Main Content
- Berhin, Alice; de Bellis, Damien; Franke, Rochus B.; Buono, Rafael A.; Nowack, Moritz K.; Nawrath, Christiane
- Cell 2019 v.176 no.6 pp. 1367-1378.e8
- abiotic stress; biosynthesis; cell walls; cutin; deformation; genes; hypersensitivity; mutation; plant cuticle; plant establishment; plant organs; root cap; root primordia; stem cells; ultrastructure
- ... The root cap surrounding the tip of plant roots is thought to protect the delicate stem cells in the root meristem. We discovered that the first layer of root cap cells is covered by an electron-opaque cell wall modification resembling a plant cuticle. Cuticles are polyester-based protective structures considered exclusive to aerial plant organs. Mutations in cutin biosynthesis genes affect the co ...
- Apte, Rajendra S.; Chen, Daniel S.; Ferrara, Napoleone
- Cell 2019 v.176 no.6 pp. 1248-1264
- angiogenesis; case studies; eye diseases; homeostasis; human diseases; immunotherapy; neoplasms; pathogenesis; vascular endothelial growth factors
- ... The discovery of vascular endothelial-derived growth factor (VEGF) has revolutionized our understanding of vasculogenesis and angiogenesis during development and physiological homeostasis. Over a short span of two decades, our understanding of the molecular mechanisms by which VEGF coordinates neurovascular homeostasis has become more sophisticated. The central role of VEGF in the pathogenesis of ...