Jump to Main Content
- Ma, Weirui; Mayr, Christine
- Cell 2018 v.175 no.6 pp. 1492-1506.e19
- RNA-binding proteins; amino acid sequences; endoplasmic reticulum; functional diversity; genes; granules; humans; membrane proteins; messenger RNA; protein-protein interactions
- ... Approximately half of human genes generate mRNAs with alternative 3′ untranslated regions (3′UTRs). Through 3′UTR-mediated protein-protein interactions, alternative 3′UTRs enable multi-functionality of proteins with identical amino acid sequence. While studying how information on protein features is transferred from 3′UTRs to proteins, we discovered that the broadly expressed RNA-binding protein T ...
- Bracha, Dan; Walls, Mackenzie T.; Wei, Ming-Tzo; Zhu, Lian; Kurian, Martin; Avalos, José L.; Toettcher, Jared E.; Brangwynne, Clifford P.
- Cell 2018 v.175 no.6 pp. 1467-1480.e13
- amino acid sequences; biomimetics; condensates; ligands; liquids; oligomerization; proteins; separation
- ... Liquid-liquid phase separation plays a key role in the assembly of diverse intracellular structures. However, the biophysical principles by which phase separation can be precisely localized within subregions of the cell are still largely unclear, particularly for low-abundance proteins. Here, we introduce an oligomerizing biomimetic system, “Corelets,” and utilize its rapid and quantitative light- ...