Jump to Main Content
- Zheng, Yuxiang; Lin, Ting-Yu; Lee, Gina; Paddock, Marcia N.; Momb, Jessica; Cheng, Zhe; Li, Qian; Fei, Dennis L.; Stein, Benjamin D.; Ramsamooj, Shivan; Zhang, Guoan; Blenis, John; Cantley, Lewis C.
- Cell 2018 v.175 no.6 pp. 1546-1560.e17
- cell lines; cytosol; formates; gene editing; mammals; methotrexate; mitochondria; neoplasm cells; neoplasms; patients; tetrahydrofolic acid; vitamin B deficiency; vitamin metabolism
- ... Mammalian folate metabolism is comprised of cytosolic and mitochondrial pathways with nearly identical core reactions, yet the functional advantages of such an organization are not well understood. Using genome-editing and biochemical approaches, we find that ablating folate metabolism in the mitochondria of mammalian cell lines results in folate degradation in the cytosol. Mechanistically, we sho ...
- Wolchok, Jedd
- Cell 2018 v.175 no.6 pp. 1452-1454
- Nobel Prize; immune response; medicine; neoplasms; physiology; therapeutics
- ... The 2018 Nobel Prize in Medicine and Physiology has been awarded to James P. Allison and Tasuku Honjo for their discovery of cancer therapy by inhibition of negative immune regulation. These insights have given rise to a class of medicines that have now entered routine use in the treatment of advanced cancers and have provided a foundation for additional exploration and discovery of pathways criti ...