Jump to Main Content
- Olivares, Christopher I.; Wang, Junqin; Silva Luna, Carlos D.; Field, Jim A.; Abrell, Leif; Sierra-Alvarez, Reyes
- Chemosphere 2016 v.144 pp. 1116-1122
- aeration; aniline; biodegradation; cytotoxicity; ingredients; inhibitory concentration 50; methanogens; pH; plasticizers; pollutants; polymerization; sludge; upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor; wastewater treatment
- ... N-methyl-p-nitroaniline (MNA) is an ingredient of insensitive munitions (IM) compounds that serves as a plasticizer and helps reduce unwanted detonations. As its use becomes widespread, MNA waste streams will be generated, necessitating viable treatment options. We studied MNA biodegradation and its inhibition potential to a representative anaerobic microbial population in wastewater treatment, me ...
- PubMed Central:
- Sun, Jing; Chillrud, Steven N.; Mailloux, Brian J.; Stute, Martin; Singh, Rajesh; Dong, Hailiang; Lepre, Christopher J.; Bostick, Benjamin C.
- Chemosphere 2016 v.144 pp. 1106-1115
- X-ray absorption spectroscopy; X-ray diffraction; adsorption; aquifers; arsenic; coatings; coprecipitation; ferrihydrite; ferrous sulfate; groundwater; iron; lactic acid; magnetite; nitrates; oxidation; pH; remediation; scanning electron microscopy; sediments
- ... Magnetite strongly retains As, and is relatively stable under Fe(III)-reducing conditions common in aquifers that release As. Here, laboratory microcosm experiments were conducted to investigate a potential As remediation method involving magnetite formation, using groundwater and sediments from the Vineland Superfund site. The microcosms were amended with various combinations of nitrate, Fe(II) ( ...
- PubMed Central:
- Chorus Open Access: