Jump to Main Content
- Makowska, Nicoletta; Koczura, Ryszard; Mokracka, Joanna
- Chemosphere 2016 v.144 pp. 1665-1673
- sulfonamides, etc ; antibiotic resistance; bacteria; genes; heterotrophs; metagenomics; polymerase chain reaction; river water; rivers; surface water; tetracycline; wastewater; wastewater treatment; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Wastewater treatment plants are considered hot spots for multiplication and dissemination of antibiotic-resistant bacteria and resistance genes. In this study, we determined the presence of class 1 integron integrase and genes conferring resistance to tetracyclines and sulfonamides in the genomes of culturable bacteria isolated from a wastewater treatment plant and the river that receives the trea ...
- Lucas, D.; Badia-Fabregat, M.; Vicent, T.; Caminal, G.; Rodríguez-Mozaz, S.; Balcázar, J.L.; Barceló, D.
- Chemosphere 2016 v.152 pp. 301-308
- sulfonamides, etc ; antibiotic resistance; antibiotic resistance genes; aquatic ecosystems; beta-lactams; fluoroquinolones; fungi; macrolides; medicine; public health; surface water; tetracyclines; trimethoprim; veterinary clinics; wastewater; wastewater treatment; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... The emergence and spread of antibiotic resistance represents one of the most important public health concerns and has been linked to the widespread use of antibiotics in veterinary and human medicine. The overall elimination of antibiotics in conventional wastewater treatment plants is quite low; therefore, residual amounts of these compounds are continuously discharged to receiving surface waters ...