Jump to Main Content
- Jeter, T. Scott; Sarver, Emily A.; McNair, Harold M.; Rezaee, Mohammad
- Chemosphere 2016 v.157 pp. 160-165
- West Virginia, etc ; activated carbon; alcohols; business enterprises; cleaning; coal; desorption; filters; flame ionization; headspace analysis; particle size; rivers; sorbents; water pollution; water supply; water treatment; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... 4-Methylcyclohexanemethanol (4-MCHM) is a saturated higher alicyclic primary alcohol that is used in the froth flotation process for cleaning coal. In early 2014, a large spill of crude chemical (containing primarily 4-MCHM) to the Elk River near Charleston, WV contaminated the local water supply. Carbon filters at the affected water treatment facility quickly became saturated, and the contaminate ...
- He, Y. Thomas; Ziemkiewicz, Paul F.
- Chemosphere 2016 v.159 pp. 570-576
- West Virginia, etc ; United States Environmental Protection Agency; United States Geological Survey; aluminum; cations; clay; coal; compliance; digestion; drainage; mining; pH; pollutants; sediments; streams; total suspended solids; toxicity; toxicity testing; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Aluminum is an important aquatic contaminant due to its ubiquity, toxicity and low regulatory discharge limits. Aluminum is mobilized in mining related, acidic drainage and is commonly a regulated pollutant. However, while aquatic toxicity studies and toxicity criteria are based on dissolved aluminum(Ald), discharge levels are, for statutory reasons, based on total recoverable aluminum (Alt). The ...