Jump to Main Content
- Maggio, Marcello, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Clinical nutrition 2019 v.38 no.6 pp. 2684-2689
- dysphagia; elderly; exercise test; females; malnutrition; models; nutrition assessment; physical activity; pneumonia; regression analysis; risk factors; screening
- ... Oropharyngeal dysphagia (OD) is a widespread clinical condition among older adults. Although it represents a risk factor for malnutrition, dehydration and aspiration pneumonia, its assessment and contribution to functional decline is often ignored. The aim of the present study was to estimate the prevalence of OD in a large population of non-institutionalized older people and to evaluate its relat ...
- Maggio, Marcello, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Clinical nutrition 2016 v.35 pp. 1512-1516
- caregivers; comorbidity; death; dementia; dysphagia; eating disorders; elderly; enteral feeding; guidelines; hospitals; malnutrition; mortality; nursing homes; patients; regression analysis; risk; Italy
- ... Despite guidelines, long-term enteral nutrition (EN) through percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) is often prescribed to older individuals with dementia and eating problems (refusal to eat or dysphagia). The aim of this prospective observational non-randomized un-blinded study was to assess the role of this procedure on risk of mortality.184 demented malnourished patients (58 M, age 82.2 ± 7. ...